Friday, January 1, 2010

My Anchor for 2010

Remember this post from last year? I feel like it is very telling, especially the part about becoming liberated from our fears. When I hold myself up to the ruler, I think I succeeded at doing at least that part.

There have been a number of things this year that I (and we- DH and I) have felt prompted to do- and have done them despite fear. We have become intimately acquainted with some of our
worst fears and have had to choose to either stand together and face them or shrink back and give in to the darkness that could most certainly become our reality.

Do I wish I would have whined less? Yes. Do I wish I had enjoyed some things a little more instead of stressing? Sure. But in many ways, with the help of others, we have chosen to do what we have been prompted to do.

Although there have been bumps (or giant craters) in the road this year, there have been many joys. The day we found we were going to be blessed with another child, the day we moved into our new home, the day we found DH would keep his job, the 4 days of our vacation to Disneyland, the day we got to spend with our newborn baby, and all the days we were showered with thoughts & prayers from those who love us.

We have all grown in many ways- M grew several inches taller, E went up a shoe size, and DH and I have remarked to one another that we "feel like grownups" where we didn't so much before.

We come into 2010 sporting new insights and an increasing faith and trust in God. And now for my traditional "anchor" for the year. It comes from here: (Henry B. Eyring, “Home for Christmas,” Ensign, Dec 2009, 4–9)


“And that which doth not edify is not of God, and is darkness.

“That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.

“And … I say it that you may know the truth, that you may chase darkness from among you” (D&C 50:23–25).

In a world that is being darkened by evil images and dishonest messages, you have been blessed to recognize more easily the flashes of light and truth. You have learned for yourself that light grows brighter as you receive it gladly. It will become brighter and brighter until the perfect day when we will be in the presence of the Source of the light………….. The trials of mortality may increase in intensity, yet for us, darkness need not increase if we focus our eyes more singly on the light that streams down on us as we follow the Master. He will lead us and help us along the path that leads upward to the home for which we yearn.


5 comments:

Natasha said...

ADORABLE hat! Here's to a great 2010!

Lucy van Pelt said...

We could all stand to have an anchor like that. I've been amazed seeing you and the DH go through so much this year and it has made me so happy to see how you've rallied. Here's to another year of working it out together!

allie said...

You are amazing, and I love you guys!

Anneke said...

thank you, I needed that. Can I copy your anchor?

Summer said...

Thanks for the inspiring words, and your inspiring example. SO glad we're friends.