Monday, January 4, 2010

Countdown to 12:00 noon

The boys and I attended a New Years Eve party that I think may have to become a tradition for a while. The Treehouse Museum in Ogden (which we are new members of!) had a children's party for New Years, only it started at 11am and we counted down to 12:00 noon. It had all the traditional things associated with New Year's parties, plus a few more. When you arrived, there was a ticket booth set up inside where you lined up to get your "kit" and, if you wanted, tickets to one of the two magic shows.


We got there in time to get tickets to the first show, and got our kits which included noisemakers, a package of m&m's, and a magic pencil (heat sensitive) When it was about to turn 12:00, we gathered in a few designated areas, where they shot down confetti. Then, a spanish tradition, we ate 1 m&m per stroke of 12. The kids blew their noisemakers, followed by the singing of Auld Lang Syne and the "ball drop." They dropped 10 squishy balls which the lucky kids with tall dads got to keep.

After that frenzy, we participated in a few more traditions. We toasted to the new year with Sprite in the party room, and the boys made their own festive party hats.


The kids were SO excited to attend the magic show, and it didn't disappoint. My friend Sum, who along with her 2 kiddos attended with us, remarked that it was worth going to the show just to hear the giggles of the kids.


And of course, when they needed a volunteer, my lucky little M got picked (he always does!) It pretty much made his week being up there with the magician (who was the original court jester in Disneyland's Fantasyland) and has been trying to do several of the magic tricks unsuccessfully ever since.

So let us know if you want to come next year- I'm sure we'll go again!

2 comments:

boisegrammy said...

What fun, and a wonderful way to celebrate the New Year. I like the M&M tradition, but I especially like the time the party was held.

Summer said...

we want to come again! my kids loved that. it was awesome. I'm sad we missed the party hat making and toasting part (what were we doing again? oh yeah, eating our lunch and watching a mom abuse her child, right) I'm so glad Miles got picked. He was much better a helper than Adam would have been, and I think it made his year! My kids want to go to another magic show, and soon!