Tuesday, January 26, 2010

How my 5 year old is exercising his agency (and fists)

So, I feel bad ratting out my 5 year old on a public blog, but I just need to feel that I'm not alone, so commiserate with me, please!

Yesterday E cried most of the day, usually throwing himself on the floor in the kitchen and dramatically exclaiming that "you needa do what I want you to do, Mom!" He was VERY tired, and I understood this and mostly ignored him or offered hugs and books when I could. I also understood that he was going to bed EARLY to try and remedy the problem.

So we finished dinner by 5:20, FHE by 5:50, PJ's, books, laundry away, etc... (I must admit I fell asleep somewhere after 6 on accident and DH did the bedtime routine) So they're in bed, music playing by around 7:05. They went about their usual talking and giggling, while we threatened to remove night lights and other such horrors (that never work, but we don't know what else to do) E finally falls asleep, because he is SO TIRED.

Pretty soon we hear M (who this whole time is making weird noises, he can't possibly be quiet until the moment of sleep) saying something to E. E is crying and we find that he has been punched in the face while he slept in his bed.

The only defense M could think of was that he was "lonely," and that the "only way (he) could think to wake up E was punching him."

SERIOUSLY!?

It took another hour or more for M to finally fall asleep, and that was on the floor in Nolan's old room with a pillow and blanket. We felt bad banishing him from his bed, but really? Who deserves to have their "bunkbed fort" (he drapes blankets over the opening to feel safe at night) invaded while they sleep and be subjected to being punched in their sleep?

8 comments:

Gage said...

Argh, that's all I have to say about the matter having experienced it first hand last night

Gage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam said...

Fun night! Sigh.

I like the bunkbed fort though, that's how Max used to sleep - all openings covered! Now it's open to the room, but the wall has to be draped with blankets. Go figure.

boisegrammy said...

I probably shouldn't be posting this publicly - but - when I was in High School my grandma came to visit and we shared a bed. She snored and it woke me up so I reached over and pinched her nose closed. That certainly woke her up! I'm not sure why I didn't just gently shake her and ask her to roll over.

Mariam said...

I feel for you. D and K have never punched one another while sleeping, but I think it is only because they don't sleep together. There have been several punches, hits, slaps etc. that were only for "experimental purposes".

Good luck.

Anneke said...

I feel your pain..I really like the idea of banning them from the room. I wonder if my kids will ever learn to just go to sleep without making it an event every night too.

Summer said...

Argggh! I'm sorry Kins. Siblings are the best of friends and the worst of enemies. What can ya do? I think you handled it well. I might have exercised my spanking abilities. Ok, not really, please don't call cps on me.

Christine said...

We know the pains of having siblings share rooms and I'm so sorry! I don't really know any great solutions to be honest. They all have their drawbacks. If we knew one kid was super tired sometimes we'd put them in our bed so they could actually go to sleep and let the other sibling wind down before moving them into the same room. We never did get it all figured out. But it's so unfair to the kid that's not causing the problems.

Good luck is all I can say!