Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Like Everyone Else

Today DH took the day off work and we took advantage of the free ride days (like thousands of other people) on the FrontRunner, a new train that goes from Ogden to Salt Lake. It makes a stop just a mile or less from our house. We got on at 8:30 (I'm pretty sure the nice couple sitting next to us talking to M was Elder & Sis. Featherstone) and I think that was a smart move because the way home at 1:00 was way crowded.
Anyway, we did get a seat on the way there, and on the way back someone moved so me and M got to sit. It was a smooth ride and even when it costs money, I think we'll try to usually take it to Ogden or SL for our outings. Hooray for public transportation!
When we got there, we went to the Gateway and our plan was to let the kids play in the fountain (we've never done that) and so we'd packed swimsuits and towel all the way there. It was conveniently closed for maintenance today, plus it was not as nice of weather as we thought it was going to be. Oh well. (they didn't know, we have learned not to tell them about things until they are for sure) We played in the entrance to Discovery Gateway (children's museum) for a few minutes, then when that got old we went to Barnes & Noble, since it was 9:15 and nothing else but Starbucks was open. Me and M read a bunch of poetry, which he loves (April is poetry month and they had a huge display) while E ran around being ornery (a trend that has spanned the whole day so far) Then, to their surprise, we took them to Cummings and let them pick out whatever chocolate they wanted. (frog and car shapes) Over to Gymboree to get more underwear for my extremely picky son who doesn't like the "itchy kind." (ie anything under $4 a pair) Then it was off to the Planetarium!
We checked out the pendulum, moon rocks, fake Mars terrain, etc... but of course the gift shop was their favorite. (eye roll here) M was treated to some glow in the dark stars for his room that he is now obsessed with.
My biggest boy had to visit the Mac store, so me and the littles kicked it at the kids video game mac kiosk while he checked out the newest imac and whatever else. (man, that store is ALWAYS crowded!)

The food court was our last stop, where they reveled in their giant slice of pizza and hotdog on a stick. I even payed for them to ride a few of those stupid ride thingies I always say no to. Yay!

Back to the train station and home to sell our car. (the lady said she'd be here at 2:00, so we kind of rushed) She called and switched to 7:30. Hopefully it will happen. I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully it will go through. Probably as of tomorrow we will be a 1 compact car family!

So that's our big adventure! Probably a lot like hundreds of other families' these last few days. I wonder how many people will have a similar blog post :)

6 comments:

Lucy van Pelt said...

That planetarium looks super fun. I don't think I've ever been there.

Jessie said...

We're trying it out tomorrow! Looks like a fun day, despite the fountain setback.

So did you sell your car then? I'm hoping you get a nice Mini soon!

Mariam said...

It looks like you had lots of fun. Isn't it funny that kids are always so excited about the little things, but that's what makes kids so fun and unpredictable.
I need to take D for a ride too. I think he would love it, but you never know. The hot dog on a stick might be more exciting.

annzy said...

It sounds like a great day and good practice for the big trip this fall. Also why is the apple store always so crazy busy?

Summer said...

we braved the train on the free days too--twice. don't ask me why I'm such a sucker. It looks like you guys had way more fun. kami did actually appreciate the train ride even though it was packed with every single person in ut.

Christine said...

Oh, AWESOME day!!!! It looks like so much fun and I know my kids would adore it. We'll have to give it a try :)

I'm glad it was a good time for all of you, and good luck with the car situation