Thursday, January 3, 2008

Tomato Soup

This is what I'm making for dinner tonight, it's a recipe from my friend Mariam and it's really good.  I am adding cheese tortellini to it to make it a little more hearty.

Tomato Soup:

2 c. diced onions
1/2 t. thyme
1/2 t. basil
3/4 cup butter
2 T. Olive Oil
2 cans (15 oz.) italian tomatoes
4 T. tomato paste
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 c. flour
1 cup cream
1 t. sugar

Saute onions & herbs in 1/2 c. butter & olive oil.  Add tomatoes & tomato paste, simmer 10 minutes.  In separate cup mix flour w/ some of the broth.  Add this and all broth and simmer 30 min.  Blend soup.  Before serving, add cream, sugar, and 1/2 c. butter, salt & pepper.  This makes a good size pot, 6 people I'd guess.  It's really good  but not so healthy.  I'm sure you could make substitutions.


6 comments:

Damitz Family said...

You're making me hungry. Sounds perfect for our 25 degree weather.

Lucy van Pelt said...

That sounds super yummy! You'll have to let us know how it turns out.

Jessie said...

I will be trying this one. I can't resist a soup that has cream in it! The tortellini sounds like a good addition too!

amber said...

I make a soup very similar to this... just add some ground sausage, cabbage, and onions or carrots - whatever vegetables you have on hand... Even Alec likes it, and he's not much into soups...

Summer said...

hey! ask and receive! I wanted this recipe. I can attest that the soup turned out great and was VERY yummy.
we couldn't convince the two/three year olds of that though. :)

Mariam said...

Glad you like the soup. It is really good to put a big spoon full of cottage cheese in the bottom of the bowl before you put the soup in. The cheese gets a little gooey and makes the soup delicious. Even my kids love it. It is also great with a good crusty bread.