Sunday, January 13, 2008

Some good days.....

Today is a very anxious day for me. I have an irrational fear of leading music. (specifically moving my arm and trying to sing at the same time, and fear of falling over while leading (this one is probably not so irrational as some of you may know)) Anyway, I am starting my new calling today, leading the Jr. Primary and the nursery singing. I'm sure after my first time I'll be okay, but right now I'm having a panic attack.

It helps me to remember some good days back in the day before I worried about callings and children and my hair (obviously, from the pics, I didn't care how my hair looked!)This is when, in 2nd Grade, I won the Grand Prize for the school in the Reflections Poetry Contest. I still remember the poem:

I'm not you, you're not me.
I'm myself, that's all I can be.
Everybody's special you see,
I'm not you, you're not me.

I thought I was SO big when I got my first job, taking care of our landlord's dogs while they were out of town. I think I was about 4. I'm sure, looking back, that my dad did most of the work, but at the time it was all me.
Obviously, this is my first day of 1st grade (see the lunchbox?) Isn't it cool to eat lunch without your mom? I thought it was. This was the dress I wore on the first day of kindergarten, so thought it was "the first day of school dress," and couldn't be talked into anything else.
This isn't THE day I got my doll, Elizabeth, but it's the only picture I had of her. For Christmas when I was 3 or 4, my mom made her herself because I wanted a Cabbage Patch doll, but those were hard to get. This one was even better, because it's clothes were made from the scraps from my clothes, so we matched most the time. (couldn't figure how Santa could do that) Thanks, mom, that was a great Christmas!
This is me on August 4, 1989, my baptism day, in front of my faith corn. I asked my dad if I could plant some of the popcorn from our pantry in front of the porch, and he said yes. Of course, he was sure it wouldn't work for seed, or he never would have let me plant in such a place. Never the less, because of my great 8 year old faith, it grew to be tall and very conspicuous. I think I prayed for it a few times to grow, so then thought it was something special and insisted that my baptism picture be taken in front of it.

5 comments:

Jessie said...

You will do great!!!!...especially as little ones like Henry as your critic! If he likes it when I sing, he'll LOVE it when you do!

That poem is the sweetest thing!

Mariam said...

I loved seeing the pics of little K, and the story about the "faith corn" is awesome. Sounds like something I would let my kids do.
Don't worry about Primary, just as those pics show, we all grow with time. Keep trying, I know you will.

Damitz Family said...

So how did it go? I'm anxious to hear!

I really love this post. You've got some great stories in here! My mom made me a CPK when I was little too. I loved that thing! It's still around my mom's house somewhere.

Orange said...

I still have my CPK too, I think most of the clothes were lost, though. Both my boys have boy ones that were mine and DH's too, so that's fun.

Summer said...

So? We didn't here how it went!?!
I loved the trip down memory lane. Such cute pictures. (love the corn story)
And the first pic brought back all kinds of memories of elementary school, reflections contests, good old Mr. Tonge, etc.
Hope all went well with primary, I'm sure you did great.