Monday, May 14, 2007

A Happy Mother's Day



In our family, Mother's Day means yard work. It began with my Grandma about 10-12 years ago. She asked for us to help her weed and plant for her Mother's Day gift that year, and we've been doing it ever since. (she still gets other presents too :) So we started on Thursday and helped my parents with their huge, overgrown yard. Friday we worked on ours. I think I looked pretty funny hauling rocks from backyard to front yard in our boys toy car since we don't have a wheelbarrow, but the rock pile is about 1/2 gone now! Saturday we headed up to Hyrum and put in my grandma's, and she gave me a bunch of gathered flower seeds to have for my own yard. So later that day, I planted in our yard: butternut squash, pumpkins, cilantro, larkspur, pygmy zinnia, giant zinnia, marigolds, bachelor buttons, and snow in summer. I still have a bunch of perrenials to transplant from my mom's, but we're mostly done. We filled in some holes left by pulling out trees, and soon we'll have a space to build a sandbox, which the boys NEED. They dig in the lawn with their toy shovels and buckets, and this must stop.

Anyway, we had a dinner at my mom's and opened gifts. The boys gave me a headband (can you tell from the wrapped gift?!) And DH gave me a dress which my sis took a pic of at a really unflattering angle. The pants we got my mom didn't fit, but hopefully MIL's sweater set fit? I also made some really cute homeade cards that I forgot to write in or give, so if I don't lose them before next year, I have cards to give already!

Oh well, I do what I can and am working to reduce the mother-guilt. (at least the non-motivating kind!)

3 comments:

Lucy van Pelt said...

It may be a bad angle, but the dress is super cute! It's a great style for you. Happy Mother's day (just a day late)!

annzy said...

I like how the boys are helping with the gift ~so nice of them. Also how does a girl that is so tall take a shot from so low?

Natasha said...

I LOVE the gardening radition for Mothers day. I wish I had a "bit of earth" to work with here!