Wednesday, March 31, 2010

This boy M

And not to neglect the firstborn, here is a little about my other peculiar son. (Peculiar is good, right? Are we not supposed to be a "peculiar people?") Again- a note of warning to those who don't want to hear about my kid.

M is now officially 5 1/2, as of a few days ago. He has a very different personality than E. Where E is fearless he is cautious, where E is stubborn, he can be talked into things, where E is quick and dirty he is slow and methodical, you get the picture. He generally follows (and sometimes becomes obsessed with) rules. He is starting to be a sort of "kid" instead of preschooler. For example, he looks a little bit awkward sometimes, his arms and legs look SO long, he has started to play a few video games, and he likes really stupid cub-scout type humor.

He likes to talk- A LOT- and has a huge vocabulary and notices a lot. It's not that I'm bragging how smart he is- this is just his area of intelligence. He could have a really long conversation with most any adult that would take the time, and loves to do the talking in groups of kids. This has recently led to his inherited trait (from DH's side, of course) of "BSing." One of his friends has reported that M knows a lot about "hiring," like "hiring people." What the? He is just making crap up and sounding like a know-it-all. Downside to this trait, but sometimes humorous.

He also has a HUGE love of the stage. I will claim this trait or not, depending on how weird it ends up making him when he's 13. We'll decide later. For now it's adorable- and way fun. I signed him up in Sept. for the group Up with kids! where he goes once a week to learn about singing, dancing, acting, and rehearse for his part in the musical "The Wonderful Witches of Oz." It is going to run in May for one night in an Elementary gym at no cost- come see! That's his big debut. He really enjoys going to the Treehouse Museum because they have "participlays," where they call you up from the audience and you dress up and say what they tell you to. He puts a lot of feeling into his parts. He has gotten chosen EVERY time we've gone, sometimes out of 100+ kids, and he's usually the lead. I have hoped he wouldn't get chosen at least once, so he can learn how to take turns and not get something "every time," but I guess he just has one of those faces, because without fail, he is called up. He is at THIS moment doing a play for E in the office. He loves attending plays and concerts as well- just can't get enough. He's been to a few musicals, a ballet, and a symphony.

He also loves watching documentaries and learning about history and science. He will be learning Spanish at his school (a Spanish immersion charter school) and is excited for that to start in the fall. He also loves Legos, which makes his daddy happy. :)

He is a good helper and very sensitive to my feelings, which is nice but I can't really hide anything from him. I don't have the stubbornness issues about clothes, hair, sleeping, etc. that I do with E, which is good since I don't think we would have had E if that had been the case!

If I had to compare- I'd say he's a young version of my cousin Jason (hey Jason!)


A few pictures of him recently- he is sometimes such a funny kid.

lego bonding
in a participlay


9 comments:

Jason said...

Me?!

Lucy van Pelt said...

That last picture is my favorite! It's exactly how I picture M in my mind when I think of him. We like to call it "having the voice of authority" instead of "BSing" though. Doesn't that sound better? I have plenty of examples of snowing people with this talent.

Orange said...

Yes, you!

Jason said...

Well, thanks. That's very complimentary of you. I really do need to get up there again to visit all the cousins and cousins' children, including M and E. Perhaps for the 4th, but we're waiting until we figure out what next year will bring before making any plans. Until then, it's great to get to hear more about them on the blog. Thanks for sharing.

Natasha said...

you MUST get the book "I love you the purplest"! You'll appreciate it as a mother of 2 boys who are so very different!

Christine said...

I think both your kids are just oozing with personality and it's awesome! They're handsome li'l guys too. I think they're great :)

Summer said...

LOVE that kid

Summer said...

and we are definitely coming to the play, send details.

shelly said...

What a cutie-patootie! He really is such an awesome kid. I love talking with him because he always surprises me with his extensive vocabulary. I never know what he's going to say!

We want to come to the play too! My kids love that kind of stuff!