Thursday, March 11, 2010

A stone for Nolan

Something happened while we were on our trip. It warmed up, the snow melted enough- Nolan's headstone was installed. We ordered it in December knowing that it would be a long while before they could get it in the ground- I was actually surprised they were able to do it in February.


I am glad to have something there, it just feels better than the tile we had there temporarily. However, I can't say anyone is more excited than the boys, especially E. It always really bothered E that he didn't have a stone, then a week or so after we buried him we were visiting his grave and E spotted a hot wheel car on another little boy's stone. He has wanted Nolan to have a stone ever since then so he could do the same.

The boys had earned a new hot wheel apiece on the trip from being good in the car and they both had the idea to take these new ones to Nolan. As soon as we could get there, we went and saw it and they were excited to give him the cars.


Just some information about the stone- Yes, it has our last name on the front and our names as well as M & E's names on the back of it. I just like to keep our real names off the internet. The front says "Our little Champion" because champion is what "Nolan" means and in part why we liked it. We still think it fits him because he must have already been a champion (in another life we don't remember) to have had the short life he did. The handprints are his actual handprints- same size and everything. The guy that made it was really good, we think it was awesome he let us do custom things like that. He designed the leaves around pictures I gave him as well. I never thought I'd be helping to design a headstone for my own child, but there it is, you do what you must, and try to make the best of it.

12 comments:

Boyd said...

I just have to thank you for sharing this experience with us. You guys are a very special family and we are blessed to have you as friends.

With Out My Punkin said...

I am glad that his headstone is in. I wish that you didn't have to pick out a headstone for him either! :( Thinking of you!

Lucy van Pelt said...

That really is beautiful and you did a wonderful job of designing it. I love the picture of M & E and their cars. It's so cool how they wanted to bring the cars there.

Mariam said...

It's beautiful, and your boys are so sweet.

allie said...

I love it, and your boys are so stinking cute.

Jody said...

It is Beautiful McKinsey....

Jessie said...

It's perfect!

Wight's said...

Lvoe it! It is so sweet of the boys to want to give Nolan their hot wheels cars that they just earned. Thank you for sharing this special moment in your life. You guys are an amazing family!

Sam said...

Lovely. And the hot wheels are touching.

Kristine said...

I think its beautiful! And what a blessing to work with someone so great!

The Sagers said...

The headstone is so neat! I am so glad you were able to personalize it, and that your boys were able to be part of it all.

McGinnis Family said...

I love the headstone!!! It is very, very sweet! Yeah, designing a headstone for your child is a tough and strange thing to have to do. I remember feeling that it made it all the more real. Love you all!