Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"I'll even kiss a sunset pig, California I'm comin' home..."

A few others have beat me to it, but here's a bit more from me about the trip!

We stayed in Oceanside, CA. It was a fun town, we enjoyed walking down the (really long) pier and eating at Ruby's, which is at the end. I don't think I'd do it again though, I was getting sick with all the swaying while we ate. They had a farmer's market, which we went to 2 weeks in a row. Great music, awesome food! We rode the coaster train they have there a few times. We visited Old Town and sampled Mexican food, cactus candy, and checked out the old buildings and museums. By an odd stroke of luck, my kids got to see all 4 of their grandparents on this trip as well as a cousin they don't see often!

We enjoyed 2 days at theme parks, one at Legoland and one at Disneyland. E was pretty much the cutest thing at the Jedi Training Camp show. He was the smallest one and he kept having trouble with his lightsaber. The host incorporated it into the show and it was really funny. We got soaking wet on Splash Mountain, but were rewarded with a really good picture for my mom to buy. M wasn't tall enough to go on Indiana Jones, but was proud that he braved Pinochio, Haunted Mansion, and Snow White, all of which I stayed off with a scared E. E went on all the mountains, and wasn't a fan of Space Mtn, but loved Thunder and we did it again. Legoland was right up our alley (well, not me) The DH loved it as much as the boys, and we had a nice-paced day there riding all things Lego. I thought the jousting horse ride was adorable.

Don't worry, we made time to do a bunch of educational "school" type things while there too. February is museum month in San Diego county, so we got to attend the Science Center & Birch Aquarium for 1/2 price. We had a lot of fun exploring at those places. We also visited the newly remodled Mormon Batallion museum. It is very well done, with a new hands on area where the kids panned for gold. I would highly recommend it to those interested. It is in old town, just off the main street.

We were all were spoiled. At Downtown Disney with new build-a-bears, which they dressed as a Jedi and Woody the cowboy. We ate at the Cheesecake Factory in "Fashion Island" and I used some Christmas money to get a beautiful bracelet in Carlsbad. The boys had been earning money for the trip and had fun spending it in the Lego store. We also had a fun time antiques shopping and enjoyed the Orange County Swap meet.

And we won't forget the beach. There were many trips to the beach just a block from our condo, which included kite flying, getting knocked over by waves (rattling Grammy's nerves) playing in the sand, and collecting sea shells. We enjoyed a brief visit to the beach on Coronado island as well as the last request of my sister before she flew home. DH was happy to be able to join us for the weekend, and we sure missed him the rest of the time!

We stayed in St. George on the way home, making the return trip in 2 days instead of the one we'd done on the way there. We stayed at one of my mom's friends' houses, and the boys really enjoyed the ride around the block in her golf cart.

These pictures aren't in order or anything, and sorry this is so long!

My little beach bum.
My parents flying kites just down from our condo.

Monkey boy
Right where we watched them feed the sharks

What I decided I don't want to look like when I get really old

See the Hotel Del Coronado in the background?

E fighting Darth Vader
This shows how tiny he looked next to the other boys, I thought it was funny

Having a great time at the happiest place on earth

He insisted that his mouse ears could hear the music in Whit's headphones

Dad bought us cactus candy to try

Panning for gold at the Mormon Battalion exhibit

Eating mexican all together- this is the biggest group we had for about 3 days

Dressing their new bears at Build-a-Bear Downtown Disney

On the Coaster train

Yummiest churros at the Oceanside Farmers' Market

Pops getting a kite in the air when we visited their condo, just down the street from ours

Playing on the beach with cousin M

Science Center in San Diego- it was supposed to hold a ball in the air, but E liked it on his hair

Legoland horse ride

All 3 of my Lego-maniacs in front of the Castle area they loved so much

4 comments:

Mikelle Auman-Williams said...

I love these pictures! How fun. How cute of E and the Jedi training. Dave and I went to Legoland two years ago and loved it.

Anneke said...

So Fun! We loved legoland too when we went..I am glad you had a fun time.

Bek said...

Glad you guys had a great time!

Christine said...

That looks absolutely amazing! And it truly sounds like you all enjoyed yourselves. The beach front condo sounds so nice right about now!