Saturday, September 3, 2011

A Camping Birthday

Happy 30th birthday to me, a month ago :) I still feel the same as when I was 29, weird.

Over the weekend of my birthday, we had the annual camp-out with the extended family on my mother's side. It was a good time, especially for M & E, who love to get dirty and all that, and who were in heaven with a ton of second-cousins to play with. Glad we have those, since there are no cousins for them on my side.

My mom surprised me by getting the whole family involved since I said "no gifts" at the campout. She gave out 30 seperate dollars to her mom & siblings and had them each get me gifts that remind them of me, so I had a lot of fun and meaningful things to open up, it was a fun surprise.

The kids all put on a skit, and we decorated t-shirts and bags and of course most of it revolved around meals. We had sweet pork salad for my birthday dinner and my aunt made my favorite carrot cake. DH, myself, and C went home every night to shower/sleep. We just couldn't handle the thought of trying to sleep with C in a tent this year! Luckily, it was only about a 45 minute drive to the campsite from home. E went home with us the second night as well, he was a tired mess, the poor kid!

My dad got the boys their own fishing poles and took them fishing with DH, it was hot and they didn't catch anything, but they have the idea and are excited to try again some time!

It was fun to see people we don't get to see often and reminisce about old times camping and being with our Aunt Colleen, whom we all miss so much.









skit
My cousin is SO talented, she made these butterflies out of chocolate!






2 comments:

Jody said...

That is such a good idea your mom had!!! Fun Birthday!!

Christine said...

Aw, happy birthday! I can't imagine camping with small kids. I like your take on it!