Thursday, April 15, 2010

Pioneer week and other adventures in preschool

The boys have been enjoying doing our school by a weekly theme. Last week was space week and we did a bunch of experiments mostly involving flour and messes to show what it is like in Space. I didn't really stop to take pictures of that though. However, the week before that was Pioneer week, and was when E was at the height of his "take a picture of me doing _______" so there are lots of pictures of it!

This week doesn't really have a theme, we've just been busy with birthdays and M is enjoying doing his "homework" packet he got at Kindergarten Roundup. Oh, yes, and we are enjoying playing outside!

I guess there was one picture of us kicking off space week. It really has nothing to do with space but you have to make snowmen when there's snow, right?!


M is way into pioneers, and since E is into cowboys, ropes, guns, horses, button up shirts, etc. it worked out well to do a pioneer unit. First we read stories about Cove Fort and Gordon B. Hinkley's father who grew up there and they built their own version. (and tried to talk me into driving them there, but it's several hours' drive, so I had to say no)

After singing some pioneer songs (conveniently in the Children's Songbook) we did some pioneer crafts. E wanted to paint a backdrop so he did a cabin scene and M put together a covered wagon kit (with my help)


E didn't think it was fair the animals should always pull the people, so here we have a pioneer pulling a horse.

We had some fun reading our book about the pony express and the early mail system. E thought that was still an occupation and was sad that he couldn't be one when he grew up. M decided those mail trucks we have now are way better. The main character in the story had quite the mustache, so the boys made some for themselves out of bread at lunchtime.



Our field trip was to the DUPS museum in Salt Lake. It had been a while since I'd been there- but even though half of it was closed for renovation, it didn't disappoint. It still had the staples I remembered from my childhood such as these centennial queens' dresses, the string from Joseph Smith's underwear when he was martyred, the silk worm exhibit, and the famous 2 headed sheep.

E enjoyed the many swords and guns of various prophets and especially the cane made of a snake vertebrae. (didn't catch it in the picture)


So there you have it. A preschoolers view of the pioneers. Oh, and a funny thing: E thinks that I was a pioneer when I was little. He must really think I'm OLD!

1 comment:

Christine said...

That looks awesome! They're going to have some great memories of preschool, you should be very proud.

I've never heard of the DUPS museum, but it looks really neat. I love looking at period styles.