Tuesday, November 18, 2008

M's turn for the ER


So in the last year, 3 of the 4 of us have gotten cut bad enough to need medical attention, and every time it was after hours. WHY is this always the case? Expensive enough as it is for E's staples to the head and my stitches in my thumb, this time, I learned something new, and that is: Cuts to the face have to go the the ER. The reason: Certain after-hours clinics don't have good enough lighting to do it without major scarring.

This is my solution to the problem: Take 10% of the money that these poor families (meaning ourselves and others with young boys) have to pay to go to the ER to get it done and you'll have your lighting paid for in 3 days or less.

Also, it doesn't help to get rid of your coffee tables with corners on them as we did. Go ahead and keep them. This beauty was from a train table with rounded corners. Split the eyebrow right open, gaping and scary looking. He'll still have a scar, but I think he'll have dark (read: that actually show up) eyebrows so that's an okay place.

Also, why can't a hospital tell you even a ballpark of how much something will cost? I mean, round up to the nearest $100 so we know what we're looking at at least. (darn high deductibles.....) Fix this, Kyle, would you?

Okay, I forgot to explain this, so I'm adding it now: He was SO brave for the Dr. (not even a whimper) so they gave him a purple popsicle, that's what's on his mouth. He was thrilled that it matched the glue color. This is the next morning after 2 face washings, too. Don't want to know how much dye that was.

7 comments:

annzy said...

Was a sibling involved? Because on our side of the family we like to make sure it is someone else fault.

Jessie said...

That's so sad. I hope M heals quickly.

I know, why can't hospitals have a price list, just like a menu at a restaurant?

Mariam said...

Ohhh, I feel so bad. Was it my train table.... I hope he feels better soon.

By the way, K's stitches were from a hula hoop. I think kids could hurt themselves in a room filled with pillows. (actually the neighbor kid DID get hurt while playing in a room full of pillows). Kids.

Lucy van Pelt said...

Your DH was a pro at needing stitches, so it's no wonder it's happening to the rest of you. He wants to be with his own kind. My scar was is on my eyebrow, too. I tweeze my brows so it's not noticeable.

Sam said...

Ouch! Poor kiddo!

Summer said...

ouch! I'm so sorry! That darn table that doesn't get used for trains! :) I was going to say, maybe you need a padded house (not just room), but apparently, according to Mariam, that doesn't help either. :)

Christine said...

Oh goodness! That sounds awfully traumatic. If not for M, then for Mom and Dad at least. I'm really glad it wasn't more serious than this.

I'm grateful for ER's, but I agree. I wish they could give you a better idea of what you're in for! We hit our deductible in January this year thanks to the ER. It's a good thing too, we went back to visit a couple times. Medical expenses are NOT my favorite!