Thursday, November 1, 2007

The actual event

Because Halloween seems to last all month these days. Anyway... I was a bad mom because I promised them we'd go to the library halloween parade, but got the days mixed up. I think I'm forgiven, now that buckets of candy are full. We had our annual speghetti dinner and invited my parents before heading out into the neighborhood. The trick or treating was fun and exhausting (and we pretty much just went around the block) The boys were not feeling well, and were cold.

It is so cool living next to so many elderly people, though. They invite you in, talk to you, give you things without sugar in them. One cute widower down the street from us was giving out freshly baked loaves of bread to everyone. Last year he gave everyone a whole big bag of freshly popped popcorn. And they are so glad to have you, it's fun. We also drove up to our old ward to go to the house of a lady I used to serve on the enrichment committee with. She and her husband love our boys, and they LOVE halloween. Every inch of their house is decorated. Anyway, this was the 3rd year they took our kids' pictures in front of their fireplace, and we joked we'd be hauling them up here at 16 and 17 to get their picture taken and how they'd groan. She had little bags of prizes and candy all made up for them just hoping we'd come. I'm glad we made the trip.

Anyway, here are the pictures. DH was again Dwight (for those of you who are not in the know, he is a character on the NBC sitcom "the Office.") This time with a borrowed "dwight bobblehead" and a "dundee award." The boys talked me into getting a witch costume from the grocery store when we ran into a REALLY good sale on costumes the day of. So I obliged, although cheap spandex is much less than flattering, especially with a few layers underneath. E didn't quite like my wig, and kept saying "off" and pointing to my head. M decided to be a wizard, and was sad we couldn't find him any Harry Potter glasses, but settled for being a "regular wizard." So the rest of the night, whenever anyone said, "Oh, are you a wizard?" he would grumpily reply "No, I'm a regular wizard." Heaven forbid. E didn't want to don any costumes at all, but I forced the turtle back on him and he soon forgot he was wearing it.





6 comments:

Bek said...

Your neighbors sounds so fun - loaves of bread, that's awesome!

Jessie said...

Man, I wish I would've made it to the loaf of bread house!

Your costumes are all great....even just "the regular wizard"!

Lucy van Pelt said...

What fun! You all look so festive and fun for halloween. I'm jealous that you had such great houses to go to.

annzy said...

I like the star pumpkin next to the regular wizard~

Christine said...

I'll swap you our whole candy bucket for a loaf of bread :) It sounds like you did have a good time, despite the wigs, the costume disappointments and boys that aren't feeling well. LOL, that doesn't really sound like a ton of fun, but I'm glad you made it!

Summer said...

Ha! You do make a scary witch. No wonder Ez wanted the wig off. And I love the regular wizard. It's so funny what these kids come up with these days. I'm so slow on the posting, I'll have to get on that.